Albondigas a la Andaluza (Meatballs)
Author: John Gutekanst
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1¼ pounds ground chicken
- ¾ pound slice of ham, chopped
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers minced fine
- Big Pinch of saffron threads (1 tablespoon)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ of a lemon, juiced
- In a food processor, place the ham and pulse into ground ham.
- Combine the chicken, ham, beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, cilantro, roasted red pepper, saffron, eggs, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl and knead well.
- Mix should be firm yet tacky.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Form 1-inch meatballs and place on an oiled tray.
- Place in the oven turning after 5 minutes.
- Cook for an additional 4 to 7 minutes until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 160 F. The meatballs should be firm to the touch.