It’s that time of year when Brussels sprouts are in season. Growing up, I wasn’t fond of Brussels sprouts at all. I hated them. Now that I am older I can’t get enough. The right preparation of Brussels sprouts and marrying the perfect ingredients is the key. This pizza recipe is excellent, and most of the ingredients can be used as an amazing appetizer.
Tony's Trending Recipe: Fried Brussels Sprout Chips
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizer
Fried Brussels sprout chips make an excellent appetizer, as well. Just place them in a side dish along with warm bacon, shaved Fontina or Asiago and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- 7 ounces whole-milk mozzarella
- 2 ounces rendered smoked bacon (random-size pieces)
- 1½ - 2 ounces fried Brussels sprout leaves (tear or trim the outer leaves of the Brussels sprout; when fried I call them Brussels sprout chips)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces shaved Fontina or Asiago
- Balsamic reduction
- Lemon wedge
- 2 ounces crushed walnuts or pecans
- Shape and stretch your pizza into a rectangle or oval.
- Flash-fry your Brussels sprout chips between 350-375 F for approximately 20 seconds. Be careful — they pop when added to the hot oil, so make sure your leaves are dry.
- When finished, add salt and pepper, to taste, then set aside.
- Place mozzarella onto your pizza, leaving a ¼-inch border.
- Evenly place the rendered bacon and slide the pizza into the oven. Bake until finished and then remove the pizza.
- Next, cut the pizza down the middle; then into five strips.
- Add the Brussels sprout chips, shaved Fontina or Asiago, and a light drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Add the crushed walnuts or pecans for texture.
- Then add the lemon wedge and serve.