The Mourning Pie
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
Courtesy of Mike Tomasso Tomasso's Pizza & Subs, Boca Raton, FL
- 24-ounce dough ball, room temperature
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup light whipping cream
- 8 ounces mozzarella
- 4 ounces ground Italian sausage
- 4 ounces diced red onion
- 4 ounces thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 2 ounces diced jalapeños
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 24 slices of Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup of sliced fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze
- 1 16-inch pizza screen, sprayed with pan spray
- In a large mixing bowl, break open the eggs and add the cream. Whip until smooth.
- Add the cheese, sausage, onion, red peppers, jalapeños, and mushrooms; toss together and set aside.
- Dip dough ball in corn meal and then flour.
- Stretch to the size of the screen or overlap the pan (you want to have the dough hanging over the edge of the pan until the toppings have been added).
- If using a screen, pinch the edge up high to create a wall so the eggs won’t over flow.
- Pour egg mixture out onto the stretched dough and spread over the surface to the edge of the crust.
- Add the sliced tomatoes.
- Bake in 450 F oven for 20 minutes.
- Check for the eggs to be done, they shouldn’t be runny.
- You do not want the dough in direct contact with the deck otherwise it will burn before the eggs are cooked. Using a screen or pan will prevent burning.
- After the pizza is removed from the oven, add the fresh basil over top and finish with a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.
- Slice and serve.