Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: soups
- 3 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 celery hearts, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Sauté the red pepper, celery, garlic and onions in butter until tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaf & bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 min.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Stir in basil, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Place half of the mixture in a blender and puree.
- Slowly add the heavy whipping cream.
- Pour bisque back into pan, combine and heat without boiling.
- Pour into bowls & garnish with fresh basil leaves.