Traditional Romesco From Catalan Spain
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sandwich
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 7 ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 heads of garlic with the heads cut off
- 3 ancho chilies or mild peppers
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- 1 medium hoagie roll or quarter baguette (about 2 to 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet Spanish paprika
- Salt to taste
- Place the bell pepper, tomatoes, the head of garlic and ancho chilies on a large pizza pan.
- Toss half the oil on them and roast in your pizza oven until all the vegetables are charred and mushy.
- The garlic should be soft to the touch.
- When the veggies are roasted, let cool enough to take the skins and seeds out of the pepper. Deseed the tomato and de-skin the garlic and onion.
- Cut the tops off and remove stems.
- Take a small pizza pan and roast the almonds under heat until they just start to brown.
- Be careful, nuts burn fast!
- Cut the bread into chunks and toast in the oven.
- Place all ingredients including the rest of the oil, sherry vinegar, paprika, salt and bread in a blender or bowl and buzz with an immersion blender.
- Blend until a thick sauce forms.
- You can tweak as needed.