Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cavatappi or similar corkscrew shaped pasta
- ¼ pound shredded provolone cheese
- ¼ pound shredded Asiago cheese
- ¼ pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- In a heavy saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a steady stream, whisking steadily, and bring to a boil.
- Add the mustard, cayenne, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Whisking the sauce, simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until it is almost al dente.
- Drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a shallow 3- 4-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl stir together the cooked pasta, white sauce, provolone, Asiago, mozzarella, and 1 cup of the Parmesan, and transfer the mixture to the buttered baking dish.
- Smooth off the top with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, oregano, and remaining ¼ cup Parmesan and sprinkle it evenly over the pasta. (This recipe can be prepared several hours in advance, covered and put in the cooler.
- Bring to room temperature before baking.)
- Bake the pasta in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cheese is bubbling.