Mac 'n' Cheese with Prosciutto
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- ¾ pound pennette (small penne) or elbow macaroni
- 1-3/4 cups grated fontina or Asiago cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- ¼ pound prosciutto, sliced and torn
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly oil a 12-inch deep-dish pizza pan or a baking pan that measures about 12x8.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it is not quite al dente.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup of the cheese, cream, milk, prosciutto and Parmesan.
- Add the cooked macaroni and toss to combine once more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to the pizza pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F oven until the cheese melts and begins to brown lightly.
- CHEF'S NOTE: Cook the pasta ahead and toss with some olive oil. Allow to cool. Hold in plastic containers, covered, in the cooler. It will keep for 4 to 5 days.