Melanzane Imbottito (Stuffed Eggplant)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 2 medium eggplant, washed, ends trimmed
- Olive oil
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into ¼-inch thick (or slightly less) slices.
- Lay the eggplant slices on a sheet pan and brush the top side with olive oil.
- Bake the slices until golden brown on one side (no need to turn them).
- Set aside.
- Make the stuffing by combining the ricotta cheese egg, half the grated Parmesan and 2 ounces of shredded mozzarella.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling on each eggplant slice and roll it up tightly.
- Ladle about ½ cup of the sauce into a lasagna pan (about 9x12 or so).
- Place the eggplant rolls in the pan, side-by-side, seam side down (a snug fit is better, so fill the entire pan).
- Ladle the remaining sauce over the rolls.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for about 25-30 min.
- Serve warm with extra sauce.