Pasta Alla Gricia
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 4 ounces minced guanciale, pancetta, or good bacon
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 pound spaghetti or other long, thin pasta
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan over low, render guanciale in oil until crispy and golden. Do not drain fat from pan; set aside
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti al dente; drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
- Toss pasta with meat and its juices; stir in cheese (if mixture is too dry, add some of the cooking liquid).
- Divide pasta among 4 warm pasta bowls.
- Season liberally with black pepper and extra Pecorino, if desired.
- Serve immediately.