Pasta alla Norma
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 2 eggplants, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 red bell peppers, cleaned and cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 10 springs of parsley
- ½ cut extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds canned plum tomatoes, drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds rigatoni
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- Put the eggplant, peppers, celery, garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor and pulse the machine to coarsely chop the vegetables.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables and saute them for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Using the back of a large spoon, crush the tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes.
- Cook the sauce at a steady simmer for about 30 minutes or until a t hick sauce is formed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt to the boiling water.
- Add the pasta.
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente.
- Add the pasta to the sauce.
- Stir and cook until the pasta absorbs most of the sauce.
- Portion the pasta among heated serving bowls.
- Sprinkle some of the Pecorino Romano over each serving.
- Serve at once.