Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- ¾ pound ground chuck
- ½ pound ground pork (or ½ pound Italian sausage casing removed)
- 1 cup red wine (inexpensive Chianti or valpolicella)
- 1 No. 20 can plum tomatoes, drained, tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a heavy pot over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and stir until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the celery, carrots and onion.
- Raise the heat to high.
- Stir and cook for 3 to 4 min. to soften the vegetables.
- Add the wine. Boil rapidly to cook off the wine (w to 3 min.).
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the ground chuck and the pork.
- Stir and cook until the meat is no longer pink (about 4 min.).
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, oregano, basil and sugar.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for salt and pepper.