Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 1 cup finely dices prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Freshly grated parmesan on the side
- Put the prosciutto in a small saute pan set over med. heat.
- Cook and stir for about 2 min. to release some of the fat & to crisp it up a bit.
- Add olive oil, butter and garlic.
- Saute and stir for another min. or so to combine.
- Transfer the sauce to a saute pan large enough to hold all of the spaghetti after it has been cooked.
- Keep the sauce warm over low heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, Parmesan and black pepper.
- Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until it is al dente.
- Drain well.
- Working quickly turn the cooked pasta into the saute pan holding the butter and oil sauce.
- Add the egg/cheese/pepper mixture to the pan.
- Toss rapidly and thoroughly to coat the pasta.
- Serve with grated Parmesan on the side.
- Chef's Notes: The aove master recipe is designed to give yhou an overall view of what this clssic pasta dish is all about. However, in restaurant service, the ideal method is to prepare and cook to portion size. For example, using the same ingredients as in the master recipe, scale down accordingly. So for, say, a serving for one, you would cook the pasta ahead (2-3 ounces dry) and hold. You would combine a smaller prtion of prosciutto, olive oil, butter and garlaic and keep warm. Probably one extra-large egg and ⅓ cup of Parmesan should do it. Add black pepper to taste.
- Put the cooked spaghetti in a saute pan over med. heat. Add the olive oil & butter sauce and stir to combine. Combine the egg and Parmesan and pour that mixture over the saghetti. Toss well. Presto! One order of spahetti carbonara.
- Safety Note: If using raw eggs poses a problem, buy liquid pasteurized eggs (1/4 cup liquid egg is equal to one large egg).
- I don't generally like to give variations on a pasta dish as classic as this. However, if you wish to add an extra touch of creaminess overall, stir 3 tablespoons of heavy cream into the egg, Parmesan and pepper mixture.