Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 6 boneless veal cutlets, each about 6 ounces
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 cups bread crumbs (I use Panko)
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup (or more) all-purpose flour
- 11/2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups marinara or pizza sauce
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella
- One by one, put the cutlets between sheets of foil or parchment paper and pound with a meat pounder (or rolling pin) until each is about ¼-inch thick.
- Set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the milk.
- In a separate shallow dish, mix the breadcrumbs with the Romano cheese and the chopped parsley.
- Coat each piece of veal with flour on both sides, shaking off the excess.
- Now dip the cutlet in the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off back into the dish.
- Next press the veal into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing down, to set the crumbs into the veal on both sides.
- Set aside or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- Using a medium-size skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot (see tip below), add the veal cutlets, one or two at a time, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, turning once, until brown and crisp.
- Set the cutlets on paper towels to drain.
- For each serving, place a cutlet in an individual baking/serving dish.
- Portion some of the sauce over and around the veal.
- Sprinkle on a portion of the grated Parmesan, followed by 2 ounces of the mozzarella (can be made up to this point and held).
- Bake in the oven or set the dish under the broiler until the cheese is melted and speckled brown.