In Italy the pizza Americana is a pizza that has sliced hot dogs and french fries on it. I’ve seen it from Milan to Bari. It’s a pizza that kids would eat growing up and it’s also for tourists. It’s one of my least favorite pizzas. Every time I see one of these pizzas in Italy I cringe. It’s disappointing that this pizza somehow represents the US. Here is a take on this pizza. This pizza is incredible and it’s the ultimate pizza Americana. The combination of Waffle style fries, Calabrese honey sausage, roasted red peppers, green onion, smoked provolone, horseradish aioli and mozzarella is absolutely delicious.
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 50/50 Semolina/flour blend for dusting
- 32-ounce dough (high hydrated dough recommend)
- 20 ounces shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 18 - 20 waffle style fries (fried then salt & pepper)
- 1 Calabrese or spicy link sausage precooked thinly sliced
- Honey drizzle
- 2 ounces sliced roasted red peppers
- ½ ounce sliced green onions
- 2 ounces shaved or sliced smoked provolone horseradish aioli drizzle
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3-foot Romana board recommended
- **Horseradish Aioli:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- Blend horseradish aioli ingredients together and place into a squirt bottle.
- Dust your dough in the semolina/flour mix.
- Shape your dough long and narrow to approximately two feet long.
- Place your dough on your board. Using your fingers tips generously dimple your dough.
- Add olive oil to the crevices of the dimpled dough.
- Par-bake your dough in a 500-525 F gas or electric oven for three to four minutes.
- Take your dough out and top your pizza with mozzarella, sliced sausage and roasted red peppers. Then place your pizza back into the oven.
- Cook until golden brown. A few minutes before your pizza is finished baking fry your waffle fries. Toss in salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut your pizza in desired squares.
- Top with green onions, fried waffle fries, smoked provolone, honey and aioli drizzle. Enjoy.