Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
Serves: 9 slices
Recipe Courtesy of Zoli’s NY Pizza Tavern, Dallas, Texas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 24-ounce dough ball
- 1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes (San Marzano style)
- 1 28-ounce can California plum tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch, dried oregano
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10-12 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated, as needed
- Using a 16-inch x 16-inch x 1-inch Sicilian pizza pan, oil bottom and sides.
- Stretch dough into pan, try to reach sides.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let proof in a warm area for 1-2 hours.
- Dough should begin spreading to corners.
- Preheat oven to 550 F.
- Combine tomatoes in a bowl.
- Crush each tomato individually, by hand.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for cheese) and mix to a chunky consistency.
- Pull dough to pan’s edges.
- Cover with cheeses.
- Using a big spoon, drop tomato sauce “dollops” across crust –– don’t cover entire crust with sauce.
- Bake pizza in oven’s middle rack for 5-7 minutes.
- Rotate pizza 180 degrees. Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned on top. Pizza bottom should be golden brown and crispy.