New Haven Chicken Pie
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 8 (3-3 ½ pound) whole chickens, skinned and halved
- 2 cups extra virgin (or 100%) olive oil
- 1 cup garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup oregano
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 quart dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, hot pepper, parsley, wine, salt and pepper, and mix well until the chicken is coated.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer on sheet pans. Pour any remaining liquid over the chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the foil and let the chicken cool. Pour off any remaining cooking juices and set aside. Separate the chicken pieces back into the remaining cooking juices.
- Topping suggestion: Build a pizza with a tomato and cheese base (tomato sauce is optional on the original version).
- Add some of the chicken base, top with thinly sliced onion (preferably red onions), rendered bacon pieces and a sprinkling of oregano and romano cheese.