Try a Pineapple Upside-Down Pizza Recipe
Yes, Pineapples do belong on pizza. Here is a great spring menu idea. The Pineapple Upside-Down Pizza recipe is a unique and sweet pizza. follow the instructions to make it upside down. Make the Pineapple Upside-Down Pizza recipe today.
Pineapple Upside-Down Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
- 1 19-ounce proprietary pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for pan (or spray olive oil)
- 9 slices pineapple
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 to 4 ounces fresh mozzarella from a log
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño peppers from make line
- 3 tablespoons local maple syrup
- Prepare a 14-inch pizza pan by coating the bottom and sides with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Dry the slices of pineapple and press down one side into the grated Parmesan for the cheese to stick to the side. This will be the “glue” to stick to the cooking dough in the oven.
- Place the slices cheese side up in the pan, six around the edges and ¼ inch from the edge of the pan and 3 slices in the middle.
- Pull the dough ball out into a 14-inch round and place gently atop the pineapple slices that are in the pan.
- Press the dough down and adjust the crust edge to meet at the corner of the pan. (If you let the crust ride up the pan, it will look strange when you turn the pan over.)
- Prick the dough with a fork or a sharp edge to eliminate bubbles when cooking.Place the pan in a 500 F deck oven for 5 to 8 minutes until the dough just sets. (The more you cook this pizza now, the less you can cook it on the second run.)
- Pull the pie out of the oven and let it sit for approximately 5 minutes for the pan to cool off.
- In one fast motion, turn the pan over on to a large pizza peel that has been lightly dusted with corn meal or semolina.
- Leave the pan upside down for a few seconds and pound on the pan bottom to dislodge any pineapple rounds still stuck on the pan.
- Gently lift the pan up with a spatula and peek under the pan to see if any slices are still stuck. If so, put the pan back down and bang again. If still stuck, you may take the spatula and dislodge the slice and put back into the place where it came from.
- Now that you have the pie right side up, place the excess Parmesan around the slices and in the middle of each slice.
- Then place the mozzarella in small chunks around the pie followed by the jalapeño.
- Cook in a deck oven at 475 F or place halfway into a conveyor oven until the cheese melts, the crust is golden and the slices of pineapple are semi caramelized.
- Pull from oven and douse with maple syrup. Serve hot.