Sweet Potato Branchie Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
Recipe courtesy of John Gutekanst, Avalanche Pizza, Athens, OH
- 1 20-ounce dough ball formed into an oiled square pan
- 2 large sweet potatoes about 11 to 14 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup of Asiago cheese shreds
- 1½ mozzarella/ aged provolone mix
- 6 ounces of chevre or fresh goat cheese
- 3 ounces of ricotta cheese
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Bake potatoes in the skins for 40 minutes. Testing with a knife, bake until they soften but are still fairly hard in the center.
- Prepare a 14-inch pizza dough and top with a cream or béchamel sauce.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg across the sauce.
- Sprinkle the Asiago, mozz/prov cheeses and half the chevre across the pie.
- Peel and slice the sweet potato as thin as possible maintaining the round shape of each slice and place across the pie one overlapping the previous, like scales. (This is the finesse part).
- Place the pizza into a 475 F pizza oven for 10 to 15 minutes checking in the center of the pizza for doneness.