Thirty years ago my brother Frank would make a version of this pizza when we were playing around in the kitchen. We would whip out a can of refried beans, bake it with several different cheeses, olives and sour cream. When the coronavirus hit our county and the rest of the world, I found myself buying canned foods like the rest of you. I grabbed a can of refried beans, cooked this pizza for the employees who were still working with me, and we devoured it. Out of a crisis, good things can come. I changed the original recipe and kicked it up a notch. Sometimes something right out of a can, such as beans, can be simply amazing. Hope you enjoy.
Tony's Trending Recipe: Baja Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 1 dough ball that makes one 12-14 inch pizza
- ½ can refried beans (6 ounces)
- 4 oz. whole milk shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz. shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 oz. shredded sharp cheddar
- 2.5 oz. bulk chorizo (dime size pieces)
- 2 oz. ‘Ndjua (nickel size pieces)
- Chopped Cilantro
- 6-8 dollops sour cream
- 12 thinly sliced pieces of Serrano, Fresno or Jalapeño peppers
- 1 oz. sliced black olives
- Hot sauce drizzle
- Sprinkle of Paprika or Calabrese powder
- Queso fresco (optional)
- Shape and stretch the dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Carefully spread your refried beans, leaving a half-inch border.
- Add the three cheeses, chorizo, olives and place pizza into the oven.
- When the pizza is finished cooking, take your pizza out of the oven and cut into desired slices.
- Add the ‘Ndjua, cilantro, peppers, sour cream, paprika powder, optional queso fresco, and hot sauce.
- Serve and enjoy.