White Sauce Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 8 tablespoons (¼ pound) unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- In a heavy saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter (do not let brown).
- Add the flour and cook and stir for about three minutes.
- Add the milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly, while bringing the sauce to a boil.
- Set aside to cool (if the sauce thickens after mixture has set a while, thin it out with a tablespoon of more milk).
- Spread the sauce liberally over the pizza shells.
- Topping suggestion: thinly sliced prosciutto or regular cooked Italian sausage.
- Cheese suggestion: grated Parmesan and shredded provolone.
- Note: press and form ½-inch border to keep sauce from running over the edge.