Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sandwich
- 12 slices soft white bread
- 6 thick slices (about 1 pound) part-skim, low moisture, mozzarella
- 6 thick slices salami
- 6 thick slices mortadella
- 6 thin slices proscuitto
- 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Lay 6 slices of the bread out on the work surface.
- Lay 1 slice of the mozzarella as well as a slice of each meat on each slice of bread.
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches.
- Cut the crust edges of the bread slices away.
- Press the edges of the bread to seal (it will not seal entirely).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lightly beaten eggs with the milk, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture one by one to coat (let the excess run off) and set aside.
- Using a large non-stick skillet or sauté pan, add a small amount of the oil and butter (about 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter) in the pan and heat until smoking.
- Place the sandwich in the hot skillet and brown on one side, flip the sandwich and brown on the other side.
- Repeat by adding more oil and butter to the pan.
- Fry each sandwich in this manner.
- To serve, cut each sandwich into two triangles.
- Serve with warm marinara dipping sauce.