Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sandwich
Courtesy of Leo Spizzirri World Pizza Champions
- 2 28-ounce pizza dough balls
- 16 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- 8 ounces roasted red peppers, sliced
- 4 ounces Genoa salami
- 8 ounces smoked turkey breast
- 8 ounces prosciutto cotto
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare half sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a rolling pin or dough sheeter, roll out each dough ball to the size of the sheet pan.
- The dough will end up being approximately a quarter-inch thick.
- Carefully lay the first sheet of dough into the pan. It’s ok if the dough goes up the sides of the pan a bit.
- Next, spread all the mozzarella over the dough in an even layer.
- Now layer the salami, turkey, and prosciutto cotto over the mozzarella, followed by a layer of roasted red peppers.
- Sprinkle the Romano cheese over the peppers.
- The Scacciata is finished by taking the final sheet of pizza dough and laying it over the top.
- It’s important not to stretch this layer of dough too much.
- Crimp the edges of the top and bottom doughs together and tuck the excess dough into the sides of the pan.
- As the final edge of dough is being crimped, try to press out any air that might be trapped inside.
- Lastly, brush the top of the Scacciata with olive oil.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and allow to proof at room temperature for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Allow the Scacciata to completely cool before cutting.
- Cut the Scacciata into 8 pieces.
- When you get an order for one, finish it in a panini press for approximately 4 minutes or until cheese starts to ooze from the sides.