Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 2 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds onions cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 pounds carrots cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 pounds green peppers cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 pounds Celery stalks cut into ½-inch dice
- 4 #10 can concentrated, crushed tomatoes; or pizza sauce with basil
- I cup tomato paste
- 6-8 whole bay leaves
- 2 handfuls fresh basil leaves, torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, carrots, peppers, and celery and stir to coat with oil.
- Place a piece of foil right down on top of the vegetables and cook over medium heat, stirring until the vegetables are soft and lightly colored (20-30 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes longer
- Turn the heat up to high and add the wine.
- Boil down the wine until it has reduced to syrup.
- Add the tomatoes, paste and bay leaves and let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the tomatoes turn bright red-orange.
- Stir in the basil, salt and pepper and pour into a storage.