Basic Marinara Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 8 ounces onions, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a large, heavy walled pot over medium heat, sweat onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until an aroma is present.
- Add plum tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Simmer mixture and reduce to a heavy consistency.
- Add fresh basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.