Basic White Sauce (balsamella)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups milk
- White pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Do not brown.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Stir and blend well.
- Add the milk slowly in a steady stream.
- Stir with whisk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Add white pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly before smearing it on the pizza crust.
- -Fold grated Parmesan or Romano cheese into the sauce while it is hot, and blend.
- -Fold Asiago or Fontina cheese into the sauce while it is hot, and blend.
- -Make a basil-white sauce by adding a chiffonade of fresh basil to the sauce (let the sauce cool a bit before you add the basil).