Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup butter (¾ pound)
- 8 eggs separated
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups walnut pieces, ground fine in a food processor
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (40 percent fat if available-it holds shape best)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup crushed amaretto macaroon cookies
- Spray the spring-form pan with pan coating and place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom.
- In a large plastic bowl, microwave the chocolate and butter together, stirring at 30-second intervals until all is melted – this should take about two minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, then half the sugar and whisk until combined.
- Mix in the flour and nuts.
- Whip the egg whites in a mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Sprinkle in remaining sugar and whip to soft peaks (pull the whip out and it should make a curl). Fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate/egg yolk mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minute, until the center springs back when touched and the sides pull away from the pan.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then loosen the side with a knife and unmold.
- To garnish the now-room temperature torte, whip the cream with the sugar and coffee granules until thick enough to easily hold its shape as you pile it on top.
- Sprinkle the crushed cookies on the cream.