This original recipe was created by the late Pat Bruno Jr., a Pizza Today columnist for many years. We chose to recreate it in his honor for this special issue. It’s worth its weight on your menu and had our staff savoring every morsel.
Chocolate Hazelnut Pudding Cake (Gianduia)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking power and sugar.
- Add milk and canola oil and combine.
- Fold in the hazelnuts.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Grease bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch square pan with unsalted butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Put chocolate morsels in a 2-3 cup Pyrex or glass measuring cup and microwave at medium power, stirring two or three times to melt the chocolate.
- In that same cup, add the brown sugar, Nutella and cocoa powder.
- Mix to combine.
- Pour the hot water over the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 35-40 min., until it is set.
- Let cool.
- Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or dust each serving with powdered sugar.