Recipe by Cory Lazaldi of New Castle Pizzeria in New Castle, California
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 3.6 pounds pork shoulder
- 6 ounces fatback
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces Calabrian chiles (oil cured)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- A pinch of allspice, ground
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon white wine
- Cut pork shoulder and fatback into cubes.
- Remove stems from Calabrian chiles.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except pork shoulder and fatback.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add spice blend to pork shoulder and fatback and mix to incorporate thoroughly.
- Let marinate 24 hours.
- Using a meat grinder, grind mixture.
- Place sausage in the mixing bowl of a kitchen aid.
- Mix for one minute to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Hold for service.