Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced in ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 2 medium eggplant, cut into ½-inch cubes (to yield 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce or pia sauce
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced into ¾-inch rounds
- Toast the bread on grill or in oven.
- While still hot, rub each on one side only with a peeled clove of garlic.
- Set aside.