“Insane in the Romaine” Roasted Sausage-stuffed Romaine
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 1 head of romaine lettuce with the outer leaves removed to reveal an approximately 7-inch long by 5-inch wide heart.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon powdered paprika
- 3 to 4 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce
- 2 ounces shredded Asiago cheese (substitute Parmigiano if needed)
- 3 ounces fresh, uncooked sausage (You may substitute oven-ready sausage, but it doesn’t melt juices as well.)
- Pre-heat a 460 F deck oven.
- Place the halved romaine head in a small pan.
- Drizzle the romaine leaves with the oil, then sprinkle with the paprika, then drizzle the wing sauce all over the romaine.
- Sprinkle half of the Asiago (about 1 ounce) along the romaine half.
- Pinch the sausage into flat, nickel sized dollops and tuck the sausage along the top of the lettuce. Do not tuck them too far into the romaine as it may not cook.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Asiago (1 ounce) on top.
- Place into the oven for 10 minutes and check for doneness. The lettuce should be partially browned, sausage cooked and Asiago melted.
- Place on a plate and dust with Parmigiano or Calabrian chilies for effect.