Pickled Red Onions
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
Courtesy of John Gutekanst, Avalanche Pizza, Athens, Ohio This is a simple and easy accompaniment to top a pizza with and adds a special zing to any meaty or fatty pie.
- 3 cups rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon, roasted fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium to large red onions cut into ⅛-inch thick rings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- Bring all ingredients (except cilantro) to a boil then immediately turn off the heat, cover and let steep until room temperature.
- Chop the cilantro fine and add to the mix.