Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers
Author: Pizza Today
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup diced green chilies
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 6 large bell peppers, tops cut off, then seeded
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup shredded Pepperjack cheese (optional)
- chopped green onions, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large skillet, brown the sausage.
- Once browned, add in diced onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, chilies, tomatoes and cumin.
- Stir well, cover and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, add corn and cooked quinoa, simmer an additional 15 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds and stems.
- Place peppers cut-side up in an oven-safe dish.
- Fill each pepper equally with sausage mixture.
- Pour about ½ cup chicken broth on the very bottom of the dish.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for about 55 minutes, or until the peppers soften to your liking.
- Remove foil, top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese (if desired) and bake a few more minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with green onions and cilantro leaves, then serve.