Sicilian Stuffed Tomatoes
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 4 large tomatoes, as red as possible
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a baking dish. Set aside.
- Cut the tops from the tomatoes and scoop out the centers.
- Chop the centers and drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of the olive oil, add the onions and brown lightly.
- Add the tomato pulp, anchovies, capers, parsley, two tablespoons of the breadcrumbs, the wine, salt and pepper and mix until heated through.
- Fill the tomatoes with the stuffing.
- Mix the remaining crumbs with the remaining oil and spread over the top.
- Bake in a greased baking dish for about 20 minutes.