Tempura Fried Calamari
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizer
- 2 pounds squid rings,
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup ice-cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, combine egg (beaten) and water (without the ice).
- Add flour and loosely mix. Note: Batter will be lumpy.
- Emerge the squid rings in the batter to coat.
- Shake to remove excess batter (putting the squid rings in a sieve or strainer makes this go easier).
- Drop the squid rings in the hot oil and fry for no longer than 2 minutes (overcooking turns delicate rings into chewy rubber).
- Remove from the fryer and drain.
- Serve with a chili sauce.