Italian 3-Layer Cream Cake
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
- ½ cup butter, margarine or butter shortening
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream together butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time.
- Mix together flour and baking soda.
- Add alternately to creamed mixture with buttermilk until completely mixed.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add coconut and pecans and stir in.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and fold into cake mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 8-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.