Pizza Today's Gingerbread Wreath "Pizza"
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Dessert
The Pizza Today team was challenged by our Man on the Street Scott Wiener, founder of Scott's Pizza Tours in NYC, to create a holiday pizza in the #holidaypizzachallenge.
- ½ cup butter, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¾ cup honey
- ¼ cup hot honey
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground cloves
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- ⅓ cup crushed white chocolate covered pretzels
- ⅓ cup candied pecans
- ¼ cup green MnMs
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons vanilla pudding
- ¼ cup vanilla icing
- Red food coloring
- In a saucepan, stir the sugar, both types of honey and butter over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melts.
- Once cooled, pour the syrup into a large bowl and add the eggs.
- Combine in the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda and mix with a fork until well sifted.
- Put mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to cool.
- Once the dough is cold, place the mound on parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten to ½–inch thick.
- Use 14-inch deep dish pizza pan as a cookie cutter and cut around pan with a pizza cutter.
- Use a smaller pizza pan or ramekin to cut the center hole of your wreath out.
- Transfer parchment paper to a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F until browned, about 14 minutes.
For the “pizza”:
- While the cookie is still warm, spread about a ½ cup of peanut butter atop the wreath.
- Top the pizza in this order: crushed white chocolate covered pretzels, candied pecans and green MnMs.
- In a bowl, mix together three tablespoons of vanilla pudding with ¼ cup mascarpone cheese.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag with a metal decorator’s tip, or simply use a spoon to dollop sweetened mixture around the cookie.
- Place one red MnM on top of each dollop.
- Mix together red food coloring and vanilla icing to desired redness.
- Place icing in a pastry bag with a tip or use a plastic bag and cut a corner to draw a large red bow at the top of the wreath.
- Cut and serve in cookie-sized pieces.