Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: douhg/breads
Makes two 12-inch pizza shells
- ½ cup warm water (110 F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2¾ to 3 cups flour (high protein)
- ¼ cup pale lager beer (not chilled, but not flat)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, beer and sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add 2¾ cups of flour and salt to the yeast mixture and blend, incorporating as much of the remaining ¼ cup of flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough evenly and form into two balls.
- Dust lightly with flour. Cover and proof overnight.
- Allow 2 hours for proofing out of the cooler before making pizzas.
: In large batch situations, using, say, 20 pounds of flour, you would replace 3 cups of water with beer.