Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: dough/breads
- ¼ ounce active dry yeast or ½ ounce fresh yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ounces plum tomatoes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ) In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and stir to combine.
- ) In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Mix well and knead until the dough is smooth and soft (about 6 minutes).
- ) Divide the dough into two equal pieces and ball each piece.
- Place the balls of dough on a lightly floured baking sheet or sheet pan.
- Dust the tops lightly with flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.
- Let rise for at least 2 hours.
- ) Lift each ball of dough from the baking sheet and press each into a lightly oiled 10-inch round baking pan that has 1-inch-high sides.
- Rub the top of the dough with olive oil.
- Cover the pans and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- ) With stiff fingers, punch holes in the top of the dough using two fingers.
- ) Add crushed plum tomatoes and oregano.
- ) Bake the focaccia in a preheated 425°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.