Chicken with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Pasta
Author: Pizza Today
- 8 ounces ziti or farfalle
- Salt, for pasta water
- 3 medium-sized chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked red pepper
- 2 roasted garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Asiago cheese
- ½ – ¾ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced thickly
- 1 cup baby spinach, stems removed
- ¼ cup basil leaves, sliced
- Fill a large stock pot with water and add plenty of salt to flavor the ziti.
- Pound fresh chicken breasts to about an inch thick for even cooking.
- Salt and pepper chicken on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat, taking care not to burn the oil.
- Cook the chicken, flipping until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and reserve chicken drippings in pan.
- Melt butter in the skillet and add garlic and chopped shallot, stirring for about 1 minute until translucent.
- Add fresh mushrooms and stir for about 2 minutes.
- In the same pan, add Asiago, Parmesan and sliced sun-dried tomatoes.
- Slowly stir in the cream and chicken broth and bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- When the cream sauce has thickened, add pasta and spinach. Stir gently until the spinach has wilted.
- Divide the pasta into 3 equal portions, top with chicken breasts and cover chicken with cream sauce.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan and basil.