Italian Eggplant Rollatini
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 medium to small eggplant, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Proprietary marinara
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup fresh basil, julienned
- 4 medium eggs, divided 3 to 1 and beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil for frying
- ⅔ cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry the eggplant.
- Cut stem end off eggplant and peel.
- Slice thinly and place each slice on a pizza pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and let sit while preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, grated Parmesano-Reggiano, julienned basil, 1 egg, water and shredded mozzarella. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil for frying.
- Coat each slice of eggplant with flour, egg and bread crumbs and fry until lightly browned. (Do not over-fry the slices. You want them pliable for stuffing.)
- Drain well on paper towels until cool enough to handle.
- In a baking pan, add a small strip of your marinara sauce (this helps keep the eggplant rolls together).
- Take a strip of fried eggplant and dollop with about a tablespoon of the cheese mixture. (You can freeze in portions at this time, with three or four pieces per serving depending on the size of the eggplant.)
- Fold the two sides around the cheese and place seam side down in your baking pan.
- Continue with all slices of fried eggplant.
- Top each serving with more marinara and shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is browned.
- Top with chopped parsley as garnish.