Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 18 fresh mozzarella balls, ciliegine-sized
- 1 cup cubed day-old Italian bread
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried basil, crumbled
- ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork and beef.
- In another bowl, soak the bread in the milk until it is saturated. Squeeze the bread and drain off excessive milk.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and add it to the meat.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except mozzarella balls. Mix thoroughly.
- Take roughly 2 ounces of meat mixture and form around mozzarella ball. Repeat for remaining mixture.
- Arrange the meatballs on a sheet pan fitted out with a drain tray (or use a spray-coated pizza screen).
- Bake the meatballs until cooked through. Set aside. (Can be prepped ahead and held, covered, refrigerated, for up to four days. Or frozen.)
- Serve atop Spaghetti with marinara.
- Sprinkle with grated Romano.