Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups canned plum tomatoes with juices
- ¾ cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound penne or rotini pasta
- 2 teaspoons (or to taste) crushed red pepper flakes
- In a sauté pan large enough to hold all of the pasta after it has been cooked, brown (lightly, do not burn) the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and chop them coarsely, or crush by hand, before using them.
- Simmer the sauce over medium high heat to reduce the liquid. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until it is al dente.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the tomato sauce.
- Add the fresh basil leaves and pepper flakes.
- Toss again.
- Note: To amp up the flavor even more, sprinkle grated Romano cheese over the pasta just before sending it out. By adding chopped anchovy fillets, capers, and chopped black olives to this sauce, you can create pasta puttanesca.