Vegan Eggplant Bolognese
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces (peel if desired)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 8 ounces Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent (do not burn the garlic).
- Add the carrots and continue sautéing.
- Stir in desired salt, cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until moisture leaves tomatoes.
- Serve with pasta or spaghetti squash as a side dish.