Classic Sausage Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- One 14-inch pizza shell
- 6 ounces all-purpose ground tomatoes
- 8 ounce blend shredded mozzarella and provolone
- ¾ pound mild or sweet Italian sausage with fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin oil
- Spread the tomatoes evenly over the crust (this is less tomatoes than you are used to using, but go with it). Sprinkle on the cheese blend.
- Pinch pieces of the sausage and flatten between your thumb and forefinger.
- Place sausage over the cheese evenly pressing the chunks into the cheese a bit.
- Sprinkle on the oregano.
- After the pizza comes out of the oven, and just before sending it out, drizzle on the olive oil.
- If using precooked sausage, the method is the same. Use a version called "Pinched Italian Sausage." It has a pleasing chunky appearance and is fully flavored.