On Deck: Forever Fall Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
(Recipe will make three 10-inch pizzas)
- 8–10-ounce dough balls
- 2-3 large heirloom carrots
- 6 ounces of the best goat cheese you can find
- 9 ounces shredded whole milk
- Drizzle, real maple syrup
- 3 ounces toasted pepita
- To roast the carrots: peel and toss carrots in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in preheated 500-550 F oven in an oven safe tray/dish.
- Cook for 10 or so minutes, rotating the carrots every 2 to 3 minutes. Depending on carrot size you may need to cook a little more or a little less. You still want them to have a little snap to them since you are going to cook them on the pizza.
- Once cooked, remove from hot tray to cool.
- Cut carrots on a bias, around ¼- inch in thickness.
- To roast the pepitas: Place a pan on burner and heat to medium.
- Add pepitas and toss until they start to brown and you can hear them crackle.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- To make the pizza: Stretch dough ball to desired thickness and add to a floured peel.
- Top pizza with shredded mozzarella and arrange the colorful roasted carrot pieces around.
- Bake pizza for 8 to 10 minutes at 550 F. When pizza is finished cooking, let rest on a cooling rack.
- Cut pizza into six slices.
- Pinch and place the goat cheese and add to pizza.
- Then add the toasted pepita and drizzle with maple syrup. If your carrots came with the fronds still attached, you can add for a fresh pop of color and taste.
Chris Decker is managing partner at Metro Pizza in Las Vegas, NV. Instagram: @everythingbutanchovies