We all have so much to be thankful for. I think I can speak for most of us when I say that the pizza life is pretty good. For me, fall is my favorite season. And this pizza really lets fall flavors shine.
I am sure most of you reading this have an orchard or farm close by that grows apples. Do yourself a favor and go grab some locally grown apples from them and tout that when you offer this pizza. It’s a beautiful way to celebrate the season. And, hey, a little bourbon never hurt anyone!
On Deck: Thankful and Grateful Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Makes three 10-inch pizzas
- 12 ounces smoked mozzarella (or cheddar blend)
- 2 firm apples (I prefer Cameo or Jazz)
- 8 ounces diced pancetta
- Micro arugula
- 4 ounces toasted walnuts
- 3 ounces Gorgonzola
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ lemon
- Peel, core and dice apples into roughly ½ inch dice. Set aside.
- In a small pan, combine 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon bourbon. Bring to a boil.
- Add diced apples and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and cook on low for 10 minutes or until the apples begin to soften and the liquid cooks off.
- Turn heat off and squeeze ¼ of a lemon on apples to keep them fresh and bright. Set aside to cool.
- For the pancetta: heat a pan over medium heat, add the pancetta and cook for 4-5 minutes until the pancetta starts to brown.
- Remove from pan and add to a paper towel lined plate to remove excess fat.
- For the Gorgonzola mixture: Take 3 ounces of Gorgonzola crumbles and add to 1 cup of ricotta. Blend in food processor until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Add the mixture to a pastry bag and refrigerate to harden up a little.
- Add 3 ounces of whole walnuts to a sheet tray and roast in pizza oven for 2-3 minutes or until they start to brown and you can smell them roasting. Let cool and break into small pieces.
- To make the pizza: Stretch pizza dough to desired shape and size and place on a floured peel.
- Top with smoked mozzarella, ⅓ of the apple mixture, ⅓ of the pancetta and cook in a 550 F oven for 8-10 minutes.
- When pizza is finished cooking, remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut into six slices and squeeze pea-sized amounts of the Gorgonzola mixture evenly around the pizza.
- Sprinkle on the toasted walnuts and then top with the micro arugula.