Roasted Eggplant Parmesan Grinder
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sandwiches
Makes 4 grinders Note: If you are pre-cooking the eggplant for service, I heat up the inside of the grinder (eggplant, ricotta, sauce and mozzarella) on a cast iron pan and toast the roll separately to give the eggplant a little extra time to heat up without burning the roll. After each is cooked through, I transfer the eggplant to the roll and finish with basil.
- 12 slices eggplant (slice in quarter inch slabs)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Olive oil (about ¼ cup)
- House marinara
- 8 tablespoons ricotta
- 8 slices mozzarella
- 4 rolls
- 16 leave basil
- On a sheet tray, lay each slice of eggplant down then brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and red pepper flakes (a little goes a long way with the pepper flakes). Then flip each slice over and repeat.
- Roast the eggplant at 400 F for about 10 minutes or until tender and just starting to brown.
- Slice your rolls (I like to cut down the side and not all the way through).
- Put one slice of eggplant on each roll.
- Dollop 1 tablespoon of ricotta on top of each and spread evenly
- Follow with a tablespoon of marinara on each grinder.
- Repeat this with another slice of eggplant, then ricotta and sauce.
- Place another slice of eggplant on top of the sauce and then top with 2 slices of mozzarella (or about ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella)
- Bake on sheet tray at 550 F for about 6 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbling.
- Take out and finish with 4 leaves of basil per grinder.
- Eat and enjoy!