Fall Pizza Recipe by Chris Decker
I think I speak for most when I say that autumn is the best time of year. The colors of the leaves, football, holidays around corner, and for all the Pumpkin Spice Latte lovers out there, this is your season. So, I thought about the most “fall” pizza I could share with you. My first bite was like wearing my favorite sweatshirt. You know that feeling….
This, like most of my recipes, has some work involved. But it is worth it when you get a chance to try this. What you’ll need to make 4 10-inch pizzas:
- 12 ounces of your favorite sausage
- 4 whole portobello mushrooms
- 12 ounces whole milk mozzarella
- 8 ounces fontina
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound of your favorite ricotta
- 2 celery stalks (fine diced)
- 2 small yellow onions (fine diced)
- Finishing salt
- ***For the mushrooms: Clean and de-stem mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the caps with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 550 F for 5-6 minutes or until soft to the touch. Remove from oven and cool.
- Once cooled, slice to desired thickness and set aside until you make your pizza.
- Using the blade of a chef’s knife, smash/flatten the stems, fine dice and set aside.
- Slice and dice your onion and celery to the same size as your mushroom stems.
- In a lightly oiled sauté pan on medium heat, combine the stems, onions and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until soft, 6-8 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and cool.
- Once mixture is cooled, add to a processor and purée into a thick paste.
- Remove mixture and add to a mixing bowl. Add your ricotta and mix well until completely incorporated.
- Wrap mixture and refrigerate until ready to use. I put my mixture into a disposable piping bag. You could also spoon the mixture over the pizza. It’s up to you.
- ***For the pizza Stretch dough to desired size and lay on a floured peel.
- Next top with mozzarella and fontina.
- Break some needles of rosemary off the branch and sprinkle over cheese.
- Lay the sliced mushrooms, then the sausage and place the pizza into the oven at 550-600 F for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven when done and cut into 6 pieces.
- Spoon or pipe the mushroom ricotta mixture evenly on the slices and sprinkle fresh thyme over the pizza. I added a little splash of olive oil and a couple sprinkles of the king of all cheeses, Parmigiano Reggiano.