I love going to farmer’s markets, and my favorite is CUESA at the Ferry Building in San Francisco. I always find myself stopping by Flying Disc Ranch, which has the most outstanding dates. Two of my favorites are Medjool and Barhi. They are literally like eating candy. Here is an amazing pizza recipe using dates, and the combination of gorgonzola and candied pecans is simply delicious.
Tony's Trending: Date Night
Author: Pizza Today
- 13-ounce dough ball
- 3 Medjool or Barhi dates, cut in half
- 1-ounce imported Gorgonzola dolce
- 7 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 7-9 half pieces of candied pecans
- 3 pieces of cooked bacon, preferably applewood smoked (cut in half)
- Micro arugula
- Maldon or Himalayan salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pastry brush
- Cut each date in half and remove the pits.
- Stuff each half with gorgonzola and set aside. I prefer to slightly par-bake the bacon before and place it on my pizza.
- Shape and stretch your dough into a 10- or 11-inch circle, leaving a one-inch thick border.
- Brush the crust with olive oil.
- Add the mozzarella and bacon and place the pizza into a 550 F oven.
- When the pizza is finished baking, cut into desired slices.
- Place the stuffed dates, pecans and micro arugula on the pizza.
- Season with a pinch of salt.
- Serve and enjoy.
TONY GEMIGNANI is one of America’s most influential pizza makers. Instagram: @capopizza Photo: Tony Gemignani