Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: soups
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8-12 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, sliced into strips
- 4 pounds cauliflower florets
- 4 pounds broccoli florets
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 pound green beans, sliced
- ½ head cabbage, chopped into
- 1- to 2-inch pieces
- No. 3 can light kidney beans
- No. 3 can garbanzo beans
- 1 quart strong beef stock (to taste)
- 1 quart strong chicken stock (to taste)
- 1 pound ditalini pasta (short, straight tubes)
- 12 tomatoes, diced
- 40 ounces marinara sauce*
- 3 gallons water (var.)
- In a 5-gallon stock pot, heat the olive oil, then sauté the onions until transparent.
- Add the garlic and sauté briefly, then add the basil and stir in.
- Mix in the cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, beans, and cabbage, and cook briefly.
- Add the stock and pasta, then add enough water to fill the stock pot 3 inches from the brim.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and marinara sauce.
- Allow the soup to simmer about an hour, or until vegetables are cooked.
- *Pagoto notes that his marinara sauce includes salt, pepper, Italian seasonings and other spices, so he doesn't add other seasonings. If you prefer, substitute seasonings instead of sauce.